Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Blog #1


So, here is my first blog entry. This is for Cinematic Modernism and so far I'm enjoying the challenge. The film last Friday, The Blood Of The Poet, was full of iconography that I want to discuss further, but will have to wait for my next blog, tomorrow. Hopefully. In today's lesson, however, we saw Sabina's blog and I would like to respond to hers with my own top five:
  1. A Clockwork Orange - because of the effect of the the techiniques Kubrick uses rather than the actual content...
  2. The Wind That Shakes The Barley - Ken Loach's interpretation of the Irish Republican Movement of the 1920s.
  3. Trainspotting - love the movie (and the book - thanks post-modernism course of last semester), especially Robert Carlyle's performance as Begbie.
  4. The Godfather (One) - a classic. No more needed. (Yes I know its a guy film, but who could resist such a performance by Marlon Brando , set in the 1930s??)
  5. The Proposition - ok so I should say that I love Nick Cave from the outset. But an amazing film with amazing landscape.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jaraya,

    Is "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" good? What is it about and why is it good?

    I know it won the Palme d'Or in 2006.

    ReplyDelete
  2. godfather part 1, but no mention of part 2? i demand answers!

    ReplyDelete